Monday, January 3, 2011

Bowing out of 2010............

Why is it that as soon as you start a diet....then ALL that your brain can think about all day is FOOD....?!?
I'm not one to make New Year's resolutions, but somehow, I think it's just psychologically easier to start off something new when the year starts......When you still have renewed zest and positive anticipation for the year ahead.......
So after falling off the lifestyle change bandwagon.....I am now fervently back on....with a bang!:-)

The last 2 weeks of December were spent partly reorganizing my life to get back to my lifestyle change plan.
And the rest of the time, in between the sampling of mouthwatering edibles, was spent introspecting.


Other than just growing up...I think marriage has really made me know myself better as a person.
So this year, I've come to a new level of humility I think........
Known myself better....
Accepted myself....flaws and all.

This year I've also come to realize how truly screwed up we are as a society in general.
Just look around you and take a step back to notice what is now normal.....

Knee-jerk reactions to every situation, big and small...........
Not being able to truly speak your mind, because someone somewhere has not grown up and whose feelings will supposedly get hurt, and then they'll proceed to attempt to ruin your life by repeatedly attacking you in social media (like that has any real bearing on things!)..........And I'm not talking about teenagers here, I'm talking about supposedly-grown-up adults, behaving like toddlers in their terrible-two's stage.......!
People just cannot take criticism, however positive, however much-needed by that particular individual........And people cannot hear a different view from what they hold on their own.....Differing opinions are no longer respected............No one wants to feel challenged, lest they actually have to explain their opinions, beliefs, practices, choices........which more often than not, they don't know themselves, and hence the extreme discomfort and knee-jerk reaction.
Let's all be clones of one another, so that people can be comfortable and feel safe.

An expansive sense of entitlement by people.......
We live in an age of fast food, and fast results, so people just want want and want some more......without wanting to work for anything anymore......Results expected, with no input!
Somehow I think that defies the laws of all reasoning.....
But hey, just look around you, and listen to people as they speak......Expecting everything and everyone around them to be DOING something for them, sorting out their lives, fixing their problems........And oh Lord, let it not be the government again!.....And the particular individual wants this whole heavenly red carpet out for them without ever lifting a finger to do anything.....!
People have mastered the art of singing this Woe Unto Me anthem.......which is frankly just....disgusting....pathetic.
And a new generation of young people who have no clue about the How and Why of things has mushroomed....further confounding the situation.

For me, those 2 topics above generally summarizes the canopy that holds many the societal problems I see around. I can only postulate that they are stemmed from serious immaturity and a prevalent lack of self-esteem in the general population.
How to fix any of these problems, I truly do not have a clue. And I am yet to decide whether I even want to attempt to tackle them at any level.
But that was 2010 for me.
Not a bad year per se really.....but a year with many curve balls, which thankfully, I managed to navigate.
But I come away from it with a new sense and understanding of reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment