Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fat... .Fatter....Fattest!

So I'll probably get slaughtered by some people for this....And others will just think I'm plain evil.
Oh well.............Same script I guess. Lol:-)
They can't hate me more than they already do!:-)

So I have decided that I'm no longer going to refer to people as being 'Big', or 'Voluptuous', or 'Plus Size'..........
Why??? you may ask....
Because all those terms are a cop out!
They are all just FAT. Yes i said it......and guess what, that includes myself......I'm not happy about it, but I'm not ashamed to admit it, and yes I would like to do something to remedy that situation.

The trainer at the gym today cringed when I said I was fat. He tried to correct me and and say that I shouldn't use that word. Lol. I told him I needed to use that word precisely for the reason that, if I wanted a change in my appearance and health levels, then I would need to hear the truth.

So you see, I think, it's actually counterproductive to use all those cop-out phrases I mentioned. It gives people a false sense of well being, a false sense of security....

You are what you eat. and I had the good fortune of having a very health conscious mother. So I grew up watching her exercise constantly, get us to be active, and get us to eat our vegetables and salads with every meal. She is the REAL Suburban Barbie, and I really hope, wish and pray that I age as gracefully as she is........but she didn't stuff her face every 2 hours with a muffin did she??....No....So I have to come to terms with the truth.
I am, what I eat....
And I eat a whole bunch of things that make me fat.
And I'm fat not by chance, or not because of crazy food additives in the food nowadays, or not by genetics, or for whatever other reason people always find as an excuse to justify their situation.......
I'm fat because I eat more than I need.

The first 2 weeks that I spent in the land of Obama was actually very depressing and stressful...because everywhere I went, all I could see was fat men and women waddling along.......everywhere!..Adults and children too........
If I should point this out, they would all get upset (as people here do ever so often!), and tell me (the foreigner) to probably pack my bags and go back where I came from (as they like to say).
But it really terrified me......and continues to terrify me.....
People are FAT. And I have a pretty good chance of turning into one of them if there is no intervention.

I watched my maternal grandmother, who had raised me, fall ill and die within a couple of months from complications due to diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, chronic kidney failure..........the works!
After she passed away, our diet at home was even more conscious...and i was super active then.......
I have since fallen off the wagon.

People think that my quest to be a certain size is all probably to do with looking good in a sexy bikini or something frivolous of that nature..........My quest to be a certain size is a very real life or death situation for me....
That's how i see it.
If only other people would see it that way.
Some people may argue that we are all going to die anyway.....but then my training as a health provider has also showed me that people can suffer for years from chronic illnesses solely based upon the activity that happens between your mouth and hands............

So I have pretty good chances of remedying this situation.
I don't drink alcohol, or smoke...therefore my ills are inactivity and increased weight, and yes, my BMI falls in fat zone for now (overweight).
There is constant talk here of the crazy obesity levels......the first lady is in this massive campaign to get kids to eat right because of the levels of childhood obesity...........but yet, no one says it just as it should be said, because people here are so obsessed with the thoughts of not hurting other people's feelings (though they would not hesitate to tell me to pack my bags and go back where I came from).........
Bottom line is, YES you are FAT, and you are FAT because you eat too much! So eat less, and get moving.


The first way to change your situation, is acceptance.
And without acceptance, there will be no real realization, no motivation to have a different scenario....
And you cannot accept something if you don't see that there is a problem in the first place. So sugar coating things will not help in changing the situation.

Some friends thought I was probably being funny by refusing to be 'politically correct' about fat people....And there will be some people who will think I'm picking on fat people.......You see, with the proportion of people here, even me, who is currently overweight, still appears to be much smaller than everyone else, and hence giving me a false sense of security too...So you see, they will never see ME as being fat, and they will think I'm picking on THEM and being insensitive.
As I said before, some things need to be said as it is.
I believe as woman, we should celebrate our different body types and shapes, but that doesn't translate into celebrating a health risk....You CAN be full of curves, and NOT be fat....The 2 are not synonymous.


So lifestyle change, here I am!

2 comments:

  1. wow!! yes i guarantee folk will get mad at this foreigner with all her opinions ;-) but yes, you have to be real and honest and accept the problem to fix it.
    it's really sad to have guys blame weight issues on everything under the sun but their lifestyle.
    guess now we know why jamie oliver gets booed out of a town [by parents,no less] when he tries to get the kids to eat healthy!!
    you go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah when i saw that jamie episode i was like, this guy has tried so hard to be nice to them and show them a better way, and they still kick him out like that....not even, ok thank you, but no thank you, kinda situation......it was really sad....
    And the even more sad thing is, the women here (who are in this particular group we are referring to), have this perception that, so long as they can get a man, then it's all good....so even if you try to talk to someone about changing their lifestyle, all you'll get back is, "but i can still get a man"!!!....like your whole existence is based upon the presence of another human being......i just dont get it...
    but thats the kinda mentality one is up against if trying to change things.

    ReplyDelete