Sunday, June 27, 2010

Madinah madinah....


Spending the last weekend in the city of Madinah was kinda bitter sweet for me...
Having lived here in Saudi Arabia for 9 months now, i couldn't wait to leave....yet being in Madinah, at the same time, i was sad to leave.

Madinah is a city in the western region of Saudi. the 2nd most holy city for muslims.
It was the birth place of the Islamic society and is also where Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was buried. There is a huge mosque built right next to the Prophet's grave, and is known as the 'Prophet's mosque'.
Out of all the places in Saudi, Madinah is known for its warm hospitality.....for the people being 'different'...for there being a sense of peace in the air....
and it truely is all that, and more........so unlike the rest of the Kingdom.
I felt all of that from the very first time that i went to Madinah.
A sense of inner peace. And i felt the same feeling wash over me as i made my last prayer there.
Saying goodbye this past weekend was a mixture of emotions.

My husband has been working here in Saudi....he decided to try it out...and so after we got married, i decided to try it out.
I wanted to experience life here for myself....to see whether all the movies and books were on point or not.
And as a muslim, to come to the birth place of my faith, was a journey many other muslims wish for everyday. So i took the plunge. As i do with everything else in life:-) I've survived fairly well i think so far.

Life in the desert has had its moments....beautiful friendships set in the midst of all the xenophobia around. Its a place of 2 extremes....the very same people who will be ultra warm and gracious in their homes, will be the very same people who will not return your greeting on the street......
It never makes sense to me.

As i spend the next couple of days packing up all our possessions, thoughts and emotions run through me unabound.

No comments:

Post a Comment