Monday, October 17, 2011

Baby Baby OH Baby Once Again.....


So seems like everyone and their sister wants me to become preggers.
Real life comedy situations seem to present themselves to me for free
:-)

A big bunch of my friends are not knowingly…..Or maybe knowingly…..Really trying to cheer me on to get knocked up.
Apparently I am not doing what should be the natural thing to do once you get married…..
Have babies!


The funny thing that I have noticed is….
The suggestions……questions…….gentle prodding…....are actually all coming from my friends, in an age group +/- 5 years from me.
There’s a certain age radius for sure.

On the other hand, every other woman that I’ve met who is at least a decade of two older than me, is telling me to take my time!
Enjoy life and my marriage before little ones come.
I hear that over and over from older women.
Wasn’t being older meant to be result in being wiser??

Who would you seek advice from then? :-)



Not that I’m ever bothered by people’s suggestions
:-)
I always do tend to do things when I’m ready for them myself……..And the thing is, all my friends know this about me!
But they persist.
And I truly wonder why.
:-)
Is it because the age-set/group that I’m in is feeling their biological clock ticking.
Is it a transference of maternal instincts??
As 2 of my friends have told me in the past one week, they are still at the stage of looking for the father of their future children, while I’ve already solved that puzzle….
So what am I waiting for??

Interesting question.
Interesting perspective.
Both women live in different cities from me, and have threatened that I should be ready with a baby bump the next time they see me!
Their well wishes are rather cute
:-)…I don’t take that fact away.
And God willing they eventually get their wish….One day!

But I just wonder if we ever stop to think of why we do things?
Especially humongous life changing things.
Because everyone is doing them?
Because it’s the RIGHT time to do it?
Because it’s the expected thing to do at the certain time and/or situation?
Because it’s part of the overall blueprint of life?
A lot of the responses to those questions can be very relative to the individual.
Or are they really?
I truly love children.
I think they are an absolute joy.
And I’ve loved being an aunt
:-)
Even though I was recently accused of not having maternal instincts! Ha!
:-) (I told you life presents me with free comedy.)
But back to my questions above?
When do you decide is the right time for someone else?
Or if there is a right time at all?
Or if people want children at all?
Or if people CAN have children at all?


I ask these questions not in the least for my benefit.
As I said, I do things on my clock, schedule, timetable and mood.
:-)
But I ask them thinking of all those women who are in the same social pressure situation that I am in and many have difference circumstances that no one talks about, or considers.
I think of women who may not have wanted the mother-role and got pushed into it because it was the‘expected’ thing to do.
Or for those women who languish in misery and feel like failures because they cannot have children, have fertility issues, have nightmare pregnancies……….
All in a bid to prove what??


Do we ever think of the subtle messages and pressure and suffering that we may be putting upon others not knowing their situation???
It may seem like great intention and good fun to do so, because for most people having children is a happy time, a continuous joy…….
But when have we all ever fitted in one box when it comes to anything?
Simple…..
N.E.V.E.R.


Next time, just take a minute to think about it, whether it’s the baby issue, or the ‘when are you two going to get married’ question, or whatever…..
Not everyone is as vocal as some of us…...
So just take a minute out to consider and find a tactful way to find out maybe what the person feels about it all…what their situation is….first, before undertaking declarations and pronunciations.


And as for me, you can continue bugging the lights out of me :-)
I like to do things with a bang…..
:-) 
So it will be when you least expect it!


2 comments:

  1. i so so love that you put up this post!

    as one of the friends who sat you down before your wedding to ask 'are you sure about this?' it's weird that am one of those pushing you for a kid now!!! LOL the irony

    am truly sorry dearie, because am learning daily how to do things because i want them, and because i'm ready for it, not out of pressure or expectations. plus how important it is to let people be and let them live their lives.

    i'm at that 'when is the wedding? where is the man?' phase and i do find it insensitive that others butt their nose into my life not knowing or understanding my last breakup or my current stressors. i have folks who haven't asked me how i am for years suddenly drop the 'where's the man' question and it just sounds annoying! i mean, i could be dying of some cancer for all they know but let's ask about the wedding, shall we? LOL

    and i realize i've been doing the same to my married pals or engaged girl friends!! oh Lord forgive me :P

    just for you, diva, i'm gonna stop being such a know it all busy body and enjoy my girls at whatever stage of their life they are at :)

    hugs!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww Gracie hun:-)
    Belive me, this comes AFTER a lot of work on myself....But if i expect the same courtesy from others, i have to not treat people the way i do not want to be treated.
    Also i have met a couple of great pals, who being older than i am, have taught me a lot in a short time......The fact that i lovvve their no-pressure non-judgmental friendship just make me love them all the more.......
    I like the way they treat me, and don't my life into a box like others......So i have to extend the courtesy to others inshallah:-)

    As you said, you never know what someone is going through, they could very well be suffering from something horrible like cancer.....and we never stop to think that not knowing the person's circumstances, our words could end up being such a source of pain, even though it may not be our intention.

    All part of the growing up i suppose:-)
    One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete