Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Ice Princess.............



I’ve always admired figure skating.
As a young child ice skating was in the same category as Disney World characters.
Since it was not available to me in the real tangible sense, the allure made it all the more intense.
What would it feel like to glide over ice on skates?
It looked so graceful….
So intricate…..
The dazzling sexy costumes the female skaters would wear……
The lifts…
The turns….
The precision.....
All those seemingly impossible maneuvers.
Fantasy upon fantasy built up in my head.

I used to WAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT for the figure skating championships every Olympics!
Did 4 years always have to take soooooooooo long to come?
It was also the one and only reason why I would ever venture to watch the Winter Olympics (which for some reason Canada seems to always be geared up for!)

I would imagine skating with my prince charming.
Totally corny right?
:-)
 

But as human beings, we always want what we cannot have.
And since ice skating was something I couldn’t have as a child growing up in a tropical African country (a few decades ago), it just remained one of those magical things.

As I grew older, and as my phobia (irrational fear, I know, I know…….) for falling grew more intense…
My fantasy of ice skating kinda waned……...err NOT.
But I just KNEW it was one of those things I simply could not do.
Because…..
I was too scared to fall!
 



Remember I said irrational fear….
I know…
Le sigh.

 





I did try it once however.
I always say try something at least once……..
And I was one of those people who just cannot let go of the side railings.
As little kids barely out of their diapers were zooming all over the place on those slits they call skates, I was the desperado clutching at the side rails….
You know…..
The ones EVERY skating rink has!
What a total waste of time and money.


So since this became THE one thing that I know I cannot do, rather than mourn my ineptitude, the fantasy of it just kept on growing in my head. 
Enter in serious applause for Skating with the Stars TV program! :-)
I was probably one of the few nuts who gave it time of day.
 



Lord knows if it will even have a 2ND season.
Hubby just used to shake his head and leave the room…………………
Exit the fantasy of skating with Prince Charming.

 

 
Last week sitting in the middle of a snow storm somewhere in the Mid-West, waiting for my flight home, new thoughts started off somewhere in my brain.
On the way to the airport, I had to stop and fill up the rental car with petrol (aka gas).
Thankfully I remembered to carry my gloves, because it was so bitterly cold, the temperatures just brought sheer pain to my hands in a matter of seconds.
As I was sitting in the airport trying to get some feeling back into my hands, I glanced over to the man who was a few feet away from me….reading a newspaper….
He flipped over the page, and there was this picture of a figure skater.

Light bulb went off in my head.
Wow, people are thinking of skating in this cold?!
I suppose though, it IS the season for that kinda thing isn’t it…..??
Cold = Ice = COLD!

And just like that……………..
The fantasy has died!
You would think, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist (nor a medical doctor apparently) to figure that out right?
But I just NEVER thought about it in that context….
These guys are constantly out on ICE.
Constantly surrounded by COLD.
I mean, even ice rinks are freakishly COLD…….OF COURSE because of the ICE.
I don’t even know why people go to them.
End of fantasy.


Yeah, I have my retarded moments.
And this is one MAJOR one. Hahahahaha……
Believe me, I always shock myself that I was trained to make life-changing decisions for people and perform surgery, yet the most simple and most basic ideas just seem to elude me, up until…………
Moments like this!
:-)
Just never REALLY thought about it before you know………..
And so now I don’t feel horribly terrible that I cannot ice skate…..
I wouldn’t want to spend all that time in the cold anyway!
HA!



No comments:

Post a Comment